Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I've had some strange symptoms lately.. First I've always

Customer Question
Hello, I've had some strange...
Hello, I've had some strange symptoms lately.. First I've always had slight anxiety and panic attakcs occasionally, lately it's worse.. Mostly when driving.. Feeling faint, dizzy, eyes get weird like I have a light sensitivity, and heart starts racing.. Feeling like I will literally pass out I have stopped driving on the highway.. I used to be able to over come this now I'm not so sure I can, it's so frustrating I feel helpless.. I do not like medication and only take .5 mg Ativan on occasion when I seriously cannot calm down.. I want to know if ears or eyes could be making these symptoms worse or if it is literally just me panicking and causing my own symptoms... The eye thing really bothers me its like I get bothered by shadows on the road and the light and nervous I will crash.. I just could use any advice at all.. I'm 27 female no other issues .. Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Eye
7/21/2016
Eye Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

Ear or eye diseases will not directly cause such symptoms, and we typically would not be concerned about such conditions if the person gives your history and otherwise does not complain of any ear or eye symptoms occurring separately or preceding the other symptoms. However, someone that has anxiety can have an exacerbation of that anxiety that is indirectly related to any symptom anywhere in the body, and the more bothersome the symptom, the greater the chance that there can be an anxious response to that symptom.

So, if someone with anxiety develops another medical condition that is exacerbating the anxiety, it is appropriate to seek proper care for that condition. If you have noticed any ear or eye symptoms that occur separately or precede the other symptoms, then it would be appropriate to be checked for those symptoms.

Even in that context, though, in the majority of people with the pattern of symptoms that you describe, it is found to be due to a worsening of the underlying anxiety, and if more severe, may be diagnosed as a panic disorder.

If you prefer to avoid the use of medicines, it would be reasonable to use non-pharmacologic interventions, including a variety of self-relaxation techniques, such as controlled breathing exercises, yoga, meditation, self-hypnosis, etc. Some of these are readily available through many different resources, but there also certain techniques that can be better learned when taught by a counselor. It is also true that certain lifestyle habits are also associated with a reduction in anxiety and panic symptoms, including getting regular exercise and getting a good amount of sleep.

If the symptoms are more significant and cannot be managed by non-pharmacologic methods, then it will still be an option to consider other medicine regimens, and you can discuss this with your doctor at whatever point you judge the symptoms to be of sufficient severity despite the non-pharmacologic methods.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor