Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I woke up with my right eye dialated and I don't know how to

Customer Question

I woke up with my right eye dialated and I don't know how to get it normal again
JA: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: Last time was about a year ago but my vision has been normal
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Well I'm wearing a scopolamine patch because of my vertigo
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Opthamologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Well i think you mean to say that your right pupil is dilated. This can be the result of either medications or neurological or even eye disorders. Can you tell me are there any other symptoms like redness in the eye? pain in the eye? weakness or numbness in the legs? Headaches? what is you age and gender? Any medications apart from scopolamine?

this is just an information request so i can answer you in a better fashion

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No other symptoms no redness in the eye or pain I'm a 31 year old female

Thank you for the additional information.

Now if only ONE pupil is dilated this can be due to a number of causes. The first one is that you could have a problem with the third cranial nerve which arises from the brain and supplies the pupil. This is known as 3rd nerve palsy, this can be due to a number of conditions including problems in the brain or due to an infection. This can be determined by getting a clinical examination done. Another cause of this can be syndrome like holmes adie pupil which again would be determine with the help of a clinical examination.

Now considering the fact that you dont have any additional symptoms, it is also possible that you could be having a side effect of the scopolamine patches which you are using. this has been known to cause dilatation of the pupils and also lead to blurred vision. usually both the pupils are dilated but dilation of a single pupil has also been reported as well. This can get better once the patches are removed.

Now while this could be a side effect of the scopolamine, i would still be wary of other causes. It is possible that the dilated pupil and the previous history of vertigo are related to each other and both of them are due to a neurological cause. This could be due to a number of conditions in the brain which NEED to be excluded with the help of a complete neurological physical examination followed by if necessary a MRI of the brain. While the chances are that this is a side effect but I would still STRONGLY recommend that you go to your doctors office and have this evaluated as soon as possible. Secondly if you develop any headaches or other symptoms which i mentioned above in that case immediately go to the ER.

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/