Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

The flesh around my left eye is swollen, so mush it closes

Customer Question

the flesh around my left eye is swollen, so mush it closes the eye there is pain in the socket more over the bridge of the nose. my eye itself is almost closed but bloodshot.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is your eye itchy?
Customer: jUST THIS MORNING IT SEEMED TO WORSEN WHILE I SLEPT. iT FEELS BRUISED BUT I HAVE HAD NO KNOCKS
JA: Is there anything else the Opthamologist should be aware of?
Customer: i HAVE HAD CATARact surgery but not on this eye
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Opthamologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms.

From what you are describing there are a couple of possibilities which can cause this sort of swelling of the eye. the fact that there is swelling and redness of the eye itself means that this is likely to be conjunctivitis. This is inflammation of the eye itself which can be due to a number of things. this can be allergic in nature and if so it can be easily treated with the use of OTC antihistamines like benadryl, zyrtec or allegra. However at the same time this can also be due to infection by either bacteria or viruses. In both cases topical medication in the form antibiotics or steroids would be needed to reduce the inflammation. Warm compresses will also be helpful in reducing the inflammation in the eye.

Another possibility can be that of opthalmitis which is a much more serious infection. This is a condition in which the eye may even bulge forward in some cases and is associated with fever and severe pain in the eye. This would need oral antibiotics alongwith topical antibiotics to be treated.

Now i would suggest that you start using OTC antihistamines like the ones i mentioned above alongwith warm compresses. if the pain is severe then you can start using OTC ibuprofen thrice a day. But the best solution here would be to visit your doctor ASAP as i am worried that it can be an infection which would need immediate treatment. So you can start the above treatment at home while scheduling an appointment with your doctor ASAP.

Do you have any more questions?

If you are satisfied, Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars below, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating.

Would you like to know anything else? I see that you have read through the information, is there something you would like clarification of?

If you are satisfied, Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars below, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating