Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Had cataract surgery both eyes in May. Also, have glaucoma

Customer Question
in right eye. Can there...
Had cataract surgery both eyes in May. Also, have glaucoma in right eye. Can there be any benefit to now doing glaucoma surgery
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Eye
6/3/2016
Eye Doctor: Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

Hi there. Cataract surgery involves the removal of a cloudy lens and replacement with an artificial lens. This typically restores vision in a dramatic fashion. However, this does nothing to affect elevated intraocular pressures (IOCs) within the eye that is the hallmark of glaucoma. This is controlled by other parts of the eye, and it needs to be treated separately. Glaucoma can be treated with eye drops, pills, laser surgery, traditional surgery or a combination of these methods. The goal of any treatment is to prevent loss of vision, as vision loss from glaucoma is irreversible. If your IOCs are high enough to warrant surgery, this could prove to be necessary and very beneficial.

Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor