Dr SH
Dr SH, Certified physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My wife has been experiencing what we think is viral

Customer Question

Hello, my wife has been experiencing what we think is viral conjunctivitis. She's been taking a number of treatments for this but it's not improving. Treatments have included antibiotic ointment (when it was thought to be bacterial), steroid drops and flushing with saline.
JA: OK. The Opthamologist will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Opthamologist should be aware of?
Customer: It's been going on for 5 days and every morning she wakes up with swollen eyelids and a red, weeping eye. No coloured discharge or crustiness.
JA: Keeping an eye on your eyes' health is important - for most people vision is their most valued sense. Our Expert will help you with which sort of vision doctor you should visit. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Opthamologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr SH replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

Antibiotics do not help for viral conjunctivitis and would only help if bacteria are involved.

Steroid eye drops also do not help and only prolong the healing time of viral conjunctivitis which is why they are not recommended.

The best thing to do is to do regular saline flushes.

It can take up to two weeks to heal up completely.

So patience is of the essence.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner, as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards

Expert:  Dr SH replied 1 year ago.

I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards