Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have had some floaters in my left eye for the past week

Customer Question
Hi, I have had some...
Hi, I have had some floaters in my left eye for the past week and I was examined today by an optometrist who dilated both eyes. She found that my problem was not a retinal tear but a problem with the vitreous (gel-like substance in the left eye) and that i should not worry about it. Now it is about 9 hours later and my right pupil (normal eye) is back to the right size, but my left pupil is still quite large. My left pupil is reactive to a flashlight shined in my eye, and it gets smaller and almost back to normal size. The vision in my left eye is a little blurry, corresponding to my left pupil being dilated, but the vision in my left eye is near normal. I presume that the optometrist put the same amount of drops in each eye during my exam, but I do not know this for sure as I was not counting the drops. Is this cause for concern that my left pupil is still dilated? Thanks!
JA: Keeping an eye on your eyes' health is important - for most people vision is their most valued sense. Our Expert will help you with which sort of vision doctor you should visit. Is there anything else the Opthamologist should be aware of?
Customer: In the past I have been diagnosed with "ocular migraines" from time to time (a few episodes each year) but I have not had an ocular migraine in a year or more, as I recall.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Opthamologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Eye
4/29/2016
Eye Doctor: Dr SH, Certified physician replied 1 year ago
Dr SH
Dr SH, Certified physician

Thank you for your question.

Give it a few more hours and the dilated eye will return back to normal.

It is quite normal for one eye to return to normal quickly than the other eye and may be related to the dose of the medication i.e. you may have had more drops put into one eye than the other eye.

So I would not worry too much.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end at the top right hand corner.
Kindest regards

This session is open for any further questions that you may have.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner, as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards

Dr SH
Dr SH
Dr SH, Certified physician