Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I had nail polish remover on my hands and I forgot to wash

Customer Question

I had nail polish remover on my hands and I forgot to wash them and put my contacts in. In was right after I had gotten out f the bath and did my nails. It must of been about a half hour later when I put my contacts on. I knew my eye was burning slightly but I had forgot about the nail polish remover being on my hands so I ignored it thinking it was just my eyes being sensitive from the contacts which happens sometimes when I wear my contacts for a while. I realized a couple of hours later that it wasn't just being sensitive that it was the remover on my contacts! I went home and removed my contacts and my right eye is blurry and feels dry. It burned when I removed my contact more than when it was in. What should I do? She I go to a Walkin clinic?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidnail polish remover contains acetone and acetone evaporates very quickly off of your hands.after a 1/2 hour, there would not have been any more acetone on your hands.it was not the acetone which caused your eyes to burn.most likely it is dry eyes, or lack of sleep or spring pollen and allergies which is causing your eyes to be sensitive.you don't have to worry about acetone getting into your eyeslet me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sure I still had it on my hands. I can't see clear at all through my left eye. When I look up at the light and close my right eye I see the light and a rainbow color around the light through a blurry haze. When I close my left eye ( which feels scratchy and feels like I have something in my eye) I can see perfectly fine out of my right eye. Should I be concerned if I don't go in that it can permanently damage my vision? Should I rinse my eye out or go get different drops or should I go get it checked out at the walk in clinic. I know this is not normal or allergies. I don't have allergies and never have had allergies so I need more of an answer other than that! That's what I paid for
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
no, it would not cause permanent damage to your eyes you can see an eye doctor and get your eyes examined.I bet they will not find any damage from the acetone.you can rinse your eyes out in the shower with lukewarm water.you can go to the walk in clinic and have a doctor there to check your eyes if you are worried.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I just needed to make sure that if I didn't go this evening to check it out that I won't have damage permanently.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you are welcomeit won't cause permanent damagelet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in the ER. It was getting worse an intolerable and really red. They gave me numbing drops and then dye and looked in a black light. It is swollen and has a slight abrasion but no damage to the cornia. They flushed it out and sending me home with antibiotic drops and to follow up with my optometrist. Having the polish remover on my contact and keeping it in for several hours is the reason they said that it caused the abrasion but because I flushed it out and was putting the drops in that helped. I remember picking up my cotton balls and tossing them into the trash not long before I put my contacts. I won't do that again! Thanks again and have a good evening.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I'm glad you went to the ERlet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com