Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I am having light sensitivity after taking Tobramycin for

Customer Question
bacterial infection (pink eye)....
I am having light sensitivity after taking Tobramycin for bacterial infection (pink eye). Now my iris is very small and not adjusting to light. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Eye
2/29/2016
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 1 year ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

What type of doctor/person diagnosed you with pink eye and started you on the antibiotics?

How long ago did your symptoms start and when did you start the antibiotics?

Have you had a recent cold or flu?

Do you wear contacts?

Can you upload a picture of your eyes?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A nurse practitioner and optomotrist diagnosed and proscibed tobramycin. I am 45 years old and did not have a cold or anything like that, I do not wear contacts. The only other medication that I am on is prestiq.I will try and upload a picture of my eyes
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Here are the eyes
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you still there?

Yes....just had to have dinner with the family. Let me take a look at your pictures...

How long ago did this start?

Has it always been in one eye only?

When you say that the light causes you pain, if you close one eye at a time and look directly into a bright lightbulb, does the red eye hurt even if the other eye looked at the light?

Are you having any nausea?

Has anyone you have been around lately (children,coworkers etc) had red eyes/pink eye lately?

Has this ever happened to you before?

Please try to answer each question noted above.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The best way to describe it is like I have been swimming in a chlorinated pool. There is a corona around light sources from both eyes.It stated out two weeks ago with pink eye and the light sensitivity about two days ago. This has never happened before

Thank you for that additional information.

Well, first of all, tobramycin is not the correct treatment for pink as this is caused by a virus....

That being said, I do not believe you have pink eye.

You probably have uveitis (inflammation of the inside of your eye) This would explain the long course, light sensitivity, small pupil and pain.

Uveitis can be caused by many issues....all of them beyond a nurse practitioner or optometrist ability to deal with.

So. What should you do?

I suggest you get into for a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist (Eye MD) tomorrow morning. I am sure if you call around there is one in your area who can squeeze you into the Monday schedule. I do not see a need for you to go to the ER tonight as the only value of such a visit would be if they had an ophthalmologist on call to treat you....and for the $2K such a visit would cost an office visit tomorrow will be just as good.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Sorry for the delay....but it not safe for me to ignore my wife when she says dinner is ready ;)

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD