Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I'm writing in desperation, as I have had a debilitating eye

Customer Question
Hello, I'm writing in desperation...
Hello, I'm writing in desperation, as I have had a debilitating eye condition of six years, where an irritating film covers my corneas.
I have been diagnosed with Dry Eye but nothing on the marked helps.
I have a complex medical history which entails Cortisone in my shoulder socket that could possibly have affected my eyes in some way?
An artificial tooth, that may be the irritant.
I also had extensive prolapses over twenty years ago and after several operations, have not had a normal bowel movement, since.
A kinesiologist recently suggested I have Candida, which may be the problem. I am currently adhering to a strict, no wheat, oats or certain fruits, diet.
The condition is so debilitating that I have felt suicidal, living through this film that ranges from globular, to a simple covering. The only relief I had was through Botox where the extreme blinking, stopped. But after the third treatment my eyes swelled so much, I could hardly open them for weeks.
And, after an hour with the Kinesiologist who lowered my Candida level, my eyes were clear for two hours. I didn't even need to wear my glasses during that time. The follow up diet is not helping, though.
I have tried flushing my system with plenty of water and herbal teas.
In the mornings, the film is less than later during the day.
Antibiotics didn't help.
Any other suggestions, please?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Eye
2/26/2016
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 1 year ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Can you upload a picture of the film on your corneas?

Is it in both eyes equally?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

It sounds like you need to consult with a corneal specialist at this point. They are the best trained doctors for anterior segment/dry eye issues like yours.

From what you have posted I do not believe that candida is at the root of your eye issues at this time

You can also try these home therapies if you are not already doing so:

It sounds like you are suffering from an anterior segment/tear film issue. Many times, for all sorts of reasons, the anterior surface of the eye starts to have difficulties. What can cause this? Well, there are a number of conditions but the most common are dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis....many times all three conditions act together to make you miserable. In order to solve your problem you need to address all of these issues at the same time.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production and the use of a medication called restasis to improve your tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose. If this does not give relief then your eyelid opening can be made smaller with surgery (lateral Tarsorrhaphy).

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition is daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

I understand that this treatment seems a bit "too low tech" to be of value, but after 2 decades of clinical practice, I can assure you (even from personal experience :) that it does, indeed, work.

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD