Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I am 49 and got my first pair of prescription progressives…

Customer Question
I am 49 and got...
I am 49 and got my first pair of prescription progressives in Nov. 2015. I went back to LensCrafters 5 or 6 times because I was having a hard time with computer use at arms length and with reading. I got the glasses to use at work. I look between two monitors 10 hours per day, keyboard, and occasionally use the phone. LensCrafters finally suggested that I use a cheap pair of readers to use while I'm at work and suggested I get my prescription checked. The cheap readers didn't appeal to me as that was why I got glasses in the first place to use at work. Here's a little history:
(I saw two different eye doctors in this order. (sq?) looks like squared in math.)
Eye exam 12/30/13 w/Dr. #1:O.D. plano -50 Cylindrical 88 Axis
O.S. plano -50 Cylindrical 85 Axis
+150
(no glasses made, went with readers +150)
Eye exam 7/11/15 w/Dr. #2: O.D -.50(sq?)-.50x91
O.S. -.25(sq?)-.50x92
Add +1.75 or 2 prs.
(Progressives made 4 months later 11/16)
Eye exam 2/9/16 w/Dr. #1:O.D. plano -.75 cyl. 100 axis
O.S. plano -50 cyl. 91 axis
+200 Vision 20/20
Eye exam 2/18/16 w/Dr. #2: O.D -.25(sq?) -.75x100
O.S. pl(sq) -.50x90 (# missing something?)
add +2.0 or***** #1 on 2/9/16 thinks Dr. #2 got the prescription wrong on 7/11/16.
Dr. #2 says the reading portion of my glasses is way too small to be useful and I have a big enough frame. Both eye doctors agree progressives are a bad choice for looking between two monitors all day. All I know is the distance is fine, intermediate doesn't work, and I have to tip my head way back to read and still hold things out further. It's impossible to use them on my computer. Any ideas?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Eye
2/22/2016
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 2 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Your multiple glasses Rx's are, really, so weak that you probably don't even need those glasses for distance vision.

Here's what I think you should do:

1. Have a wet and dry refraction to fully uncover any underlying Rx you need. This takes two visits to the eye doctor. On one visit drops are put in your eye before the refraction. On the second visit, no drops are used and the two results are compared. These data are then combined to get you the best glasses possible.

2. If you want to avoid #1, then go to the dollar store and try on a bunch of "cheaters". Find the best reading glasses for you and then try them out.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD