khagihara
khagihara, Doctor (non-eye specialty)
Experience:  Trained in multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

In late December of 2015, I got rear-ended on the freeway -

Customer Question

In late December of 2015, I got rear-ended on the freeway - the driver who hit me was probably driving about 40 miles per hour. When I got hit, the back of my head smacked/hit my headrest, and it felt like my head hit a brick wall going at the speed of light. I can still see fine, however, I'm having strange effects with my eye balls - more specifically, at night, or in the morning when I wake up after sleep, (after the eyes have been just sitting still for a while) it feels like my eyeballs get sorta STIFF in my sockets, and when I move them around a bit, I almost feel like they are moving the stiffer eye muscles, because it feels like my eye muscles sorta "crack" in a sense - much like cracking your knuckles - a similar sensation. During the day, the eyes don't have that "cracking-the-eye-muscle" feeling, BUT, my eyes still feel sorta like they've been dipped into a liquid concrete - sounds weird, but, what that means is, before the accident, I was able to move my eyes around so very smoothly, that it felt like nothing - however, NOW, after this rear-ending incident, I feel like the eye sorta has a "weight" to them, feels more bulgy, and its not as smooth nor easy to move my eyes around the sockets...I can still do it just fine, but it feels like the eye muscles feel sorta heavy, fatigued, and somewhat puffy...so that is what I'm experiencing...I was wondering, anatomically speaking...what is going on here? I hit the back of my head and my eyes feel weird...Did the impact of my head like hurt my eye muscles? Is this something you've heard before? Is this something that will ever go away, or does it seem permanent? Are there eye exercises I can do to make it go back to normal. Again, its very difficult to describe to you the sensation, it just feels like my eyes don't have the same seamless flow/tracking/movement than they did before - they feel like they've been dippped in like a liquid concrete..and now when I move my eyes around, it something that I think about because I feel the heaviness, as opposed to before - I would move my eyes around and wouldn't think about it because it was seamless...looking to your reply.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr SH replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

Have you been seen for this by an eye doctor?

Any tests done like a CAT scan of your brain?

Please let me know.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, i specifically asked to speak to an eye doctor. Please switch me to one
Expert:  Dr SH replied 1 year ago.

Sure. I will opt out to allow other experts to help you out.

Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

It could be from damage to cranial nerves III, IV, and VI. You should see a neurologist to have exam and imagining studies such as CT and MRI.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. You say it "could be" damage to cranial nerves. Buy if not that? what else could be causing it?
2. How does hitting the back of my head affect these nerves?
3. If they are damaged, in what way are they damaged?
4. Will this get better over time, or is it possible i will live with this the rest of my life?
5. By hitting the back of my head heavily on headrest, would this be considered a "mild traumatic brain injury"?
6. My vision seems to be ok. Since i hit the back of my head, is it possible other vision problems arise later in my life? The back of the head has the visual cortex
7. Have you heard of any other cases like this before, where a patient hit the back of their head and was experiencing eye movement heaviness and a bulgyness feeling?
8. Mri vs ct scan. Whats the difference? Does one give other info the other might not? Are there any risks in taking one? Is it possible the imaging machines dont show or pickup damage when, in fact, there is
9. What can i do to heal or treat this?
Looking to your reply. Thanks
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

1. The muscles to move the eye balls are compressed or trapped in the damaged eye socket bones. 2, The brain is floating in the skull. If the back of the head is hit, the brain moves to the front and hits to the skull. 3. Since you still can move the eye balls, the nerves could be compressed or trapped n the damaged eye socket bones. 4. It is possible if the compressed or trapped nerves or muscles are released with surgery. 5. Since the headrest should be not hard, it should be mild. 6. Since you don't have any vision problem since late December, it is less likely you will develop other vision problems. 7. Yes. 8. CT shows bone problems and MIR shows soft tissue problems such as muscles, nerves, brain damages. 9. I already mentioned it.