Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

LEFT EYELID STRUGGLES TO OPEN ONCE I HAVE CLOSED MY EYES AT

Customer Question
NIGHT. JA: Thanks. Can you...
LEFT EYELID STRUGGLES TO OPEN ONCE I HAVE CLOSED MY EYES AT NIGHT.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I GO TO BED AND SHUT MY EYES. AFTER ABOUT 10 MINUTES THE LEFT EYELID WONT OPEN AND FEELS LEADEN AND HEAVY. THERE IS NO DISCHARGE AND THE RIGHT EYE IS FINE. I HAVE TRIED LUBRICATING OINTMENTS INCASE IT IS DRY EYE. THIS HELPS THE DISCOMFORT, BUT DOES NOT STOP IT HAPPENING.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Eye Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Eye
2/14/2016
Eye Doctor: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello !

Actually you should consult and be checked by a neurologist ...

A lagging of complete opening of an eye is referred to as HORNER's syndrome ...the nerve > muscle control to lift the eyelid is unique

I've not run across a case that is positional but that seems to be what you are describing ...

Usually it more typically presents as a lag of one eye lower than the other side with this condition.

But it is a symptom that is best investigated further by a NEUROLOGIST....

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can open the eye, but it is not an easy natural process. It partly opens, but feels heavy. My eye Dr gave me Lacrylube to use at bed time. She thinks the eyeball is sticking to the lid, as tears can stop being produced when the eyes close? Anyway it still happens. It is more uncomfortable if I don't use the ointment. In fact it is too uncomfortable to sleep. Once I have been up a while it is fine. Just like the right eye. I did also wonder if it was positions, or due to tiredNess of the levitation muscles?

Hello again,

You should not lack lubrication of the eye due to closing your eyelids.. dryness of the eye and a lack of lacrimation may be a potential cause of the seeming trouble to open your eye at times though..

If this causes a stickiness and is improved by the Lacrilube than a deficiency of lacrimation ( tear production may be your cause)

My thought on your symptom too was that the nerve control to lift the eyelid is complex and unique and may be affected by several conditions .. this generally causes a lid lagging that persists however.. so if that is not the case then this nerve related problem may not be your cause...

If the eye lacks lubrication then you might have symptoms during the day as well such as burning, dryness, itching of the affected eye ...so I would be observant if this seems to be the case...

The levator muscle which lifts the eyelid does have unique nerve pathway and this may be affected by a variety of conditions.. My thought on your symptom was that you MIGHT have some impairment of this nerve pathway that could be more positional...

Below I list a quick reference to the condition "Horner syndrome" which the lid lag may be one of several potential symptoms.. this may not be your cause but I list the below if you wish to review this condition further>>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horner%27s_syndrome

If the lying down and trouble opening the eye is due to dryness ( lack of tearing or lacrimation) then you might benefit from further treatment such as RESTASIS eye drops as an option...

The dryness of the eye may be apparent if this is your cause...

Lacrilube may help dryness but if it should be due to a positional never impingement than the Lacrilube would not help that type of problem...

Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor