Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

The bottom part of my mom's eyeball is very red almost black…

Customer Question
The bottom part of my...
The bottom part of my mom's eyeball is very red almost black in the left eye. Just started today. She had a little discharge the other day in her eye. I am putting colloidal silver drops in her eye started today. She is homebound and has mini clots in her brainn. She is 80. She had a brain bleed last year in November. I started giving her holistic drops to help nervous sytem.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Eye
2/13/2016
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 2 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Stop the silver drops!

Your mother has most likely experienced a sub conjunctival hemorrhage, a common event that occurs to many people.

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS