Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

24 hours ago my eye started hurting, felt like the day after…

Customer Question
24 hours ago my eye...
24 hours ago my eye started hurting, felt like the day after a black eye was received, sore and bruised, however I do not recall injuring it. I looked in the mirror to discover broken vessels, and some yellow looking area on the cornea. It wasn't watering too badly, and no vision problems. I awoke this morning expecting gummy, crusty pinkeye, and nothing. There was a tiny glob of usual morning eye mucous, and it was dark red in color. I am now feeling fatgiued and have had a nagging minor headache all day with a bit of ear pain on the affected side. No itching or buring, it just simply hurts. Since this doesn't fit pinkeye or subconjunctival haemorrhage symptoms, I'm a little worried. I have a clear photo if you'd like.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Eye
A photo of the affected eye. Headache and neck pain increasing.
Same eye, 24 hours after first photo.
The last photo is too blurry, this one taken moments ago.
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/11/2016
Eye Doctor: Dr SH, Certified physician replied 2 years ago
Dr SH
Dr SH, Certified physician

Thank you for your question.

You are most likely having a condition called as episcleritis.

benign, self-limiting inflammatory disease affecting part of the eye called the episclera. The episclera is a thin layer of tissue that lies between the conjunctiva and the connective tissue layer that forms the white of the eye (sclera).

Severe cases can be treated with either topical corticosteroids or oral non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like OTC motrin or aleve.

For mild cases artificial tears may be enough.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options (stars) at the top right-hand-corner as that is the only way I am credited on here by the website for helping you out.
Kindest regards

Kindest regards

Thank you. How soon do I need to see a professional? Is this a "can I be seen today request?" Which, if they're unable to fulfill would net an urgent care facility visit. I have immune issues and have been undergoing evaluations by a neurologist for 5 years, should I start there, with my pcp, or an eye doc? Thanks again.

People who have immune issues are more likely to have this particular problem.

Yes you can start with a neurologist and let him know but I would prefer an eye doctor.

Kindest regards

I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options (stars) at the top right-hand-corner as that is the only way I am credited on here by the website for helping you out.
Kindest regards