Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I am 57 years old. Realatively active and healthy. Female. I…

Customer Question
I am 57 years old...
I am 57 years old. Realatively active and healthy. Female. I have had chronic hep c since 1988. I maintain my health with careful diet, liver friendly supplements, and limited alconol , an occassional glass of wine. Lately I am having annoying senior moments, leaving stove on, turing on wrong burners on stove etc. My left eyeball is increasing in size, noticeably larger than the other. My left eye more so, but both feel heavy lidded. My head feels wierd. I pulled over driving today, my eyes were near shut . It feels sometimes like my eyes are sqeezed. I do not have insurance. I can not afford going to multiple doctors to get to the right one. Should I be concerned. What kind of doctor should I see. I am the director of a food pantry, and vp of an active thrift store, and teach Sunday school. People rely on me. Can you help? Thank-you, Mari
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Eye
2/10/2016
Eye Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Hi Marirose,

Im very sorry to hear about your symptoms.

Now your symptoms can be indicative of a number of conditions and this would have to be narrowed down. The first thing which comes to mind after hearing about your heavy eye lids is that you could have ptosis which is a condition in which there is weakness of the nerves or rather the muscles of the eyelids. Myasthenia gravis is a condition which can cause ptosis as well as weakness of the muscles of the limbs. classically this would get worse as the day goes on. This would need to be evaluated with the help of a EMG/RNS and certain blood tests.

Now the increase in the size of the eyes can be an indication that you have proptosis which is a condition in which the eyeballis protuded outwards and forwards. This can occur in thyroid disorders like graves disease in which there can be other symptoms like palpitations, sweating, heat intolerance, shortness of breath, weight loss , tremors of the hands etc. this would be diagnosed with a simple thyroid function test.

The forgetfulness can be simple memory issues or a sign of a medical disorder which in combination with the other symptoms can be due to a brain problem.

As you can see there are several possibilities here and these can be narrowed down on a clinical examination, now instead of visiting several doctors i would suggest that you visit an internist, an internist can usually manage most of the medical conditions including thyroid disorders and can atleast make a diagnosis of myasthenia(if you have it) and he can also look into the other possibilities as well. He can rule out mostof the conditions and do the initial blood work which is required here.

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Do you have any more questions?

If you are satisfied, Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars below, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating.

Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor