DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

Left upper eyelid twitch.. dull ache on and off in left

Customer Question

left upper eyelid twitch.. dull ache on and off in left ear..
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Right now that's about it.. for a few months leading up to this I was having periods on and off where I would have a blocked ear.. no loss of hearing, if anything amplified hearing It would like 2 days of the blocked ear, then fine for 4 or 5 days.. then blocked for 2 days then fine I haven't had it be blocked in like 3 weeks though.. Now it's just been this left eyelid flutter or twitch.. which comes and goes.. lasts for a minute or so.. then stops for anywhere from 15 minutes to hours.. the left ear ache is very dull.. and also inconsistent and no, they don't necessarily occur concurrently I take mucinex daily, twice a day.. as well as Sudafed 12 hour.. sleep with a cool mist humidifier the last few weeks
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Eye Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome.

These conditions can be related. Twitching of the eyelids is usually caused by some form of stress in your case it can be ear infection.. It is often difficult to pinpoint the exact cause. The twitching will ultimately stop, but can take weeks to do so. Rest, artificial tears and cool compress may help speed recovery. If the twitching is severe and/or painful, see an eye doctor.
Let me know if you have further questions.

Please do leave a positive rating.

Best.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, I've had the ears checked numerous times and been told there is NOT an infection. Now I do have general stress lol.. but I've had stress before many times in life and never had an ear pain or an eye twitch. I do have suspected TMJ.. and I also have very bad left side neck pain. Could the eye twitch and ear pain be related to the neck? The pain is on the left side.. sternomastoid area..
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply.

Eye and ear pain can be related to facial nerve compression in the inner ear. That is the only nerve that supplies both the areas under question. No nerves from the neck come up to supply the face. If you have seen an ENT specialist, you should revisit and discuss this possibility. An MRI is usually diagnostic.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating.

Best.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmm.. I disagree.. even TMJ presents often with both ear and eye issues. Couldn't see why the muscle just below the jaw couldn't have same impact as TMJ on that side? I'm more concerned with if any of it indicates something serious like a tumor or something. I am currently uninsured hence why I'm here asking questions.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

No, TMJ does not present with eye and ear issues. Rather with facial nerve compression, TMJ can be an accompanying feature. So, TMJ, eye and ear symptoms can be manifestations of facial nerve compression. TMJ on its own can not cause eye or ear issues. It is also a manifestation not the root cause here.

You can feel free to ask questions here, we are here to answer them for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what causes facial nerve compression?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just a note for your reference... might want to add to your repertoire of information: http://www.portlandtmjclinic.com/tmj-disorders/symptoms
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

The other expert has opted out.

Do you have a question that needs to be answered?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am probably in the wrong category. I believe most of my issues are stemming from a neck and/or TMJ issue. I have been to an ENT who diagnosed me with BPPV due to failure of Dix Hallpike but subsequent research on my part has indicated that it's very possible to fail a Dix Hallpike with cervical vertigo. My question was relative to a left eyelid twitch.. which apparently isn't outwardly visible. I do work on computers all day and have for.. well, since 1987. I do have substantial neck pain on the left hand side as well and limited mobility. I present occasionally with a dull ache for a few seconds in the left ear, fairly deep in. I do not get "vertigo" by its purest definition. I get an off balance which is corrected by changing head position.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

OK

This does sound structural to me, potentially.

If ENT problems, such as inner ear disease, are ruled out...I suggest that you have a structural exam that addresses the tmj, the cervical spine and the skull.

The best doctor to do this would be a cranial osteopathy.

They have the same status as MDs, but do structural diagnoses and fixes.

Here is one list

www.cranialacademy.com

go to the find a practitioner link.

Find one who does 90 to 100% of his/her practice hands on.

I deal with this situation frequently, and have for over 20 years.

This does not mean that your regular doctor does not need to rule out ENT problems, brain problems, and heart /nervous system problems. I assume that has been done.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.