Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I'm ***** *****. I'm 20 years old. I have marks on the iris…

Customer Question
Hi I'm ***** *****...

Hi I'm ***** *****. I'm 20 years old. I have white marks on the iris of both my dark brown eyes. i noticed it about three years ago and saw an eye doctor who said it was just a lack of pigment on my iris. do you think this is the case? also when i first noticed it three years ago i only noticed it in my left eye but recently noticed that i have the white marks on my right as well. I'm not sure if they were always there or if they are new...

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Hmm i don't think so. i have a pair of glasses but they are a very low perception and i only really need them when watching plays or reading things on screens when im in lectures

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Eye
2/1/2016
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 2 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Can you upload a picture with the areas in focus?

Did you see an ophthalmologist or an optometrist?

Do you have any other symptoms or any vision problems?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Thank you Dr. Rick! I attached a photo of each eye. These white marks on my eyes aren't noticeable without light directly on them. I should also mention that i don't experience any eye pain or irritation, and I noticed the mark on my left eye years ago, its the most obvious and most noticeable one. I went to see an optometrist after noticing it three years ago and also got my new perception for glasses at the time because the glasses I had since I was 13 broke. However I rarely use my glasses unless I need to read something far away; my prescription is quite low. I haven't really noticed any changes in my vision since then. the only medication I currently take is Cipralax for my anxiety, which I started about a month ago. I take 30mg per day.

Thank you for that additional information and the two pictures. They are excellent and I can clearly see the white areas located at about 3:00 in your right eye and about 6:00 in your left.

This is from loss of pigment in your iris.

The most likely cause, and one that an optometrist would be expected to miss, is a condition called pigment dispersion syndrome.

While this is nothing to freak out over you really need to see an ophthalmologist in the near future for a good slit lamp exam looking for a telltale sign called a kruckenberg spindle on your corneal endothelium as well as a painless, in office test called gonioscopy looking for other signs of this condition.

In most cases there is no other problems however pigment dispersion syndrome can, in time, lead to pigmentary glaucoma.......which left untreated can cause severe vision damage/loss over time.

In many patients a simple laser treatment (laser peripheral iridotomy) can prevent or greatly delay the development of pigmentary glaucoma.

I am sorry that your optometrist did not think to refer you to a Eye MD......and I'm very glad you contacted JustAnswer.

Here is a very good article from a highly respected source that you might find interesting:

http://www.glaucoma.org/glaucoma/pigment-dispersion-syndrome-and-pigmentary-glaucoma.php

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD