Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Rick. Ok I also have a bump in my orbital bone, just below…

Customer Question
Hi Dr. Rick. Ok...
Hi Dr. Rick. Ok I also have a bump in my orbital bone, just below the tear duct but not where "sleep" collects. I noticed it a few weeks ago, but it is slightly bigger today than a few weeks ago. I'm kinda freaking out...so I'm going to my primary care doctor tomorrow. What do you think it is?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Eye
2/1/2016
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 2 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

The most common cause for swelling or bump on the eyelid is a chalazion or a stye. These bumps form when a gland in your eyelid gets plugged up and possibly infected. It is very often associated with a condition called blepharitis.

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, put the shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

If this doesn't work then the chalazion or stye can be removed with a straight forward surgery in your ophthalmologists office. Here is a good video that shows this procedure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlaeh8CBJXc

This takes care of this condition in the vast majority of cases.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD