Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye problems: 20/400, eye muscle problems, double vision,

Customer Question
cataracts.Cataract surgery both eyes-developed large...
eye problems: 20/400, eye muscle problems, double vision, cataracts.Cataract surgery both eyes-developed large floaters, post capsular cataracts, double vision.post capsular cataracts removed.eye muscle surgery both eyes no more double vision. After cataract surgery my vision was 20/20 both eyes. Since then (9years )my vision has slowly diminished from 20/20 to 20/30 and 20/70. I was told that lens was a set lens that would keep vision at 20/20. Why would vision diminish? Can floaters be removed
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Eye
1/27/2016
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 2 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

As a retina specialist I can tell you that there are tons of issues in the retina alone that could be at the root of your decreased vision.

Is 20/70 your best vision with your newest glasses in place?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

I sent you information you requested. Don't see it now. Did you see my additional info?

No. It didn't come through :(

Could you please try re-posting it?

Thanks

I don't have glasses at this time and haven't had them for years. My current ophthalmologist said he would get me a prescription in about a month after my eye muscle surgery has settled. My retinas, macular and visual field have all been checked. Still not sure why my vision has diminished from 20/20 in right eye after lens implant to 20/70 in right eye now. What do you think?
I also developed very large floaters about 3 months after my cataract surgery in both eyes. They are very large and slow moving, not like the small blackish darting floaters at all. Can they be removed and if so, is that dangerous to do?
I have rheumatoid arthritis since I as 40 (22 years). I take these meds:
Methotrexate, Plaquenil, Folic acid, synthroid, Paxil, Lipitor, Norco,
Ambien.
When I'm at ophthalmologist office and look through a pinhole I can see much clearer.

Thank you for that additional information.

What can you do about the floaters? Well, floaters don't go away, and they don't really get worse. Over time they tend to "sink" out of your central vision and you brain "filters" them out so you don't notice them so much anymore. They almost never cause significant visual problems except, of course, if they cause a secondary retinal detachment as discussed above. The only way to decrease or remove the floaters is with a major surgery called a vitrectomy. As a retinal specialist for almost 2 decades I only do this procedure to remove floaters in extreme cases.

In January 2013 a new drug, called Ocriplasmin, was approved by the FDA to dissolve vitreous strands in a particular eye condition called vitreomacular traction. Perhaps someday this drug could be used to also remove floaters…. Only time will tell.

Also, since your vision gets much better with a pinhole that means glasses will improve things a lot. No need to worry :)

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS