Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Just got a drop of bleach in my eye. Rinsed on and off for…

Customer Question
Just got a drop of...
Just got a drop of bleach in my eye. Rinsed on and off for 10 minutes with cool water. Eye feels irritated. What should I expect?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Eye
1/25/2016
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

It is likely to incite a mild chemical reaction in the eye which might cause irritation to the eye for a day or two. You have done just the right thing by rinsing the eye immediately with water as it helps to get rid of most of the chemical out of the eye. However the brief contact in the eye does cause some amount of inflammation. For a mild reaction it is sufficient to soothe the eye with lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4-6 times a day for a few days. In case the irritation persists for more than a day or two and causes redness, watering or pain in the eye, then do get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist for a closer look and start of anti-inflammatory eye drops.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist