How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Rick Your Own Question
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 11353
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Rick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have chronic upper eyelid swelling that spreads down to

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, I'm Vince Rhodes.I have chronic upper eyelid swelling that spreads down to both sides of my nose. It looks likes water blisters at times they are so swollen. I push the swollen areas and they deflate only to re-inflate quickly. It obstructs my vision at times and no one seems to know what causes it.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have know other symptoms with this.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Eye Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

How old are you?

Do you have swelling anywhere else?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm 50 yrs old irish/english male with fair skin. I've had several basal cells removed off my face but none near my eyes. I have no other health problems other than depression. I've been on wellbutrin and buspar for 12 years. My PCP prescribed hydrochlorothiazide which did not help. I've even had an MRI of the head looking for some abnormality and none was found. I have no swelling anywhere else. Eating foods with lots of sodium make it much worse like pizza or any asian dishes. I'm not congested and I have no allergy symptoms with it. Both parents had deep set eyes with heavy lids. I had a blepharoplasty 6 years ago because the ptosis obstructed my vision---Insurance covered it. The swelling decreased for awhile and then it came back with the added little swollen pockets on either side of my nose near my eyes. I can send a picture if it helps you get an idea of the severity of the look.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

If they are swollen now can you upload a picture?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the one was after my blepharoplasty approximately 6 years ago and then the present.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My face flushes easily and certain foods make my face red. I do have sun damage from growing up on a lake. I've stayed out of the sun for over 25 years now. I don't drink alcohol. I don't get rosacea acne but I do turn red with stress or certain foods. I don't eat dairy or dairy containing products anymore which seemed to make my face more red.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could I have Ocular Rosacea? I just found an article on it. I do have dry, irritated eyes with some blurred vision at times.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that additional information.

From what you have posted, and from the pictures you have provided, I do not believe that your underlying issues is ocular rosacea, no matter what the Evil Dr. Google might suggest....

It looks like they did a very good job with your blepharoplasty although I can see in one of the pictures the thickness of your upper lids especially on the right side on the lateral (outside) and near your nose on the left side.

The only way to address this would be to have additional surgery which would be best done by an oculoplastic surgeon rather than a general ophthalmologist.

In the end, however, you might be easier to accept this extra tissue as your new look rather then go under the knife again.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS