DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

My name is ***** ***** Marks I went to the ER on Sunday and

Customer Question

Customer: Hello my name is ***** ***** Marks I went to the ER on Sunday and I was diagnosed with Conjuctivitis I was given eye drops and told to use cold compress for my righ eye and now I woke up this morning and my right eye lid is very heavy and it can hardly open I wonder to bring down the swelling, if I should use a cold compress or a warm compress
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my right eye is swollen and my eye lid feels very heavy It seemed to fine yesterday. I was able to open my eye but this morning, it appears to be worst
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Eye Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure no problem. I have already contacted my supervisor and told her about the issue of my eye so Ireally don't see myself going to work today
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

It is better to use cold compresses for suspected viral conjunctivitis ( avoid warm compresses as it favors growth of bacteria). As long as there is no pain or blurred vision with light sensitivity, I guess the eyelid edema is due to the ongoing viral conjunctivitis only. Usually it lasts for 5-10 days and subsides naturally without any specific treatment. One needs to get urgent eye exam in case the edema persists and is associated with severe pain in the eye, photo sensitivity, discharge, dilated pupil not reacting to light ( infection spreading to orbit). Otherwise there is nothing to worry about and you can wait for the signs to subside gradually over the next few days.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is a different expert.

You have already stated this is getting worse.

You might need a different ointment, an antibiotic ointment.

Do not wait until it is a worse emergency.

Go back now.

You might also need anti inflammatory treatment.

I am a double board certified US doctor.

Find me in the medical anytime for any question....Dr. Thomas only.

Please click a positive rating.