Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I've noticed for about 2 months now i have trouble opening…

Customer Question
I've noticed for about 2...
I've noticed for about 2 months now i have trouble opening my right eye when i wake up during the night. It will tear and sometimes is painful. After several minutes of blinking it will open but this happens all night. In the morning there may be a little crusty material on the lash line but then all day it's fine . also have floaters in both eyes especially when i first wake up. My eye doctor thins i have floppy eyelid syndrome. Please advise
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Eye
1/18/2016
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Thank you for the question.

Excessive watering and pain in the eye can occur from recurrent epithelial syndrome ( peeling of the superficial layer of the cornea due to reduced adhesion between layers as seen in diabetes and corneal dystrophy). However it is more likely to be bilateral. Floppy eyelid syndrome can occur due to increased laxity of the eyelid which can cause the upper eyelid to flip during sleep at night. It is more common in those with obesity and snoring. If the symptoms are very bothersome then surgical correction is required . Until then regular use of lubricating eye drops during the day and ointment at bedtime is needed( such as Refresh tears eye drops and Lacrilube ointment).

To remove crusts in the mornings, give warm saline compresses on waking .

Do let me know if you have any more questions to ask in this regard. Thank you

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist