Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

A gnat flew in my eye the other day on a farm and since then…

Customer Question
Hi a gnat flew...

Hi a gnat flew in my eye the other day on a farm and since then my eye has been red and itchy I have been using opcon but should I go to the dr

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

A gnat flew into my eye on a farm- I have allergies to farm animals and the eye swelled a bit I used OPCON and the swelling went down but every morning I wake up it's red do you think I should go to the dr- it is itchy and feels like something is in it

Doctor's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Eye Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Sure

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Eye
1/16/2016
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

It is likely that you have developed an allergic reaction from the gnat entering the eye. If the symptoms have subsided after using the Opcon eye drops for most of the day except mornings then I guess there is nothing to get worried about. In case the eye remains red throughout the day then it does need an eye exam by an ophthalmologist just to get a close look into the eye. Otherwise I guess it is alright for you to use lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears or Systane eye drops, 1 drop 4-6 times a day for a week or two. Opcon eye drops can be continued, 1 drop 4 times a day if itching is still present. However prolonged use of this eye drop must be avoided.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist