Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Phil I am wondering if I should be concerned about my

Customer Question
Good night dr phil I am...
Good night dr phil
I am wondering if I should be concerned about my burning and sometimes cloudy, sticky eyes. I also have intense burning and itching just before and during my period. It started from about February but some months are minor to no symptoms. Can you help me?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Eye
12/22/2015
Eye Doctor: Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist

The most common reason for these symptoms is blepharitis.

Blepharitis is an inflammation of the eyelids that causes dysfunction of the oil glands in the eyelids which results in inflammation in the eyelids, tear film (layer of tears coating the front of the eye) and the front of the eye itself. It is very common and can come in many different varieties, severities, and presentations. It can cause any of the following symptoms: burning, itching, discharge, tearing, dry or gritty feeling, foreign-body sensation, light-sensitivity, redness, pain and/or blurry vision. For some who have blepharitis, they don't have any of these symptoms but can still have the inflammation.

In order to treat blepharitis, everyday in the morning you should do two things: 1. hot compresses and 2. eyelid scrubs. You should do hot compresses for 5-10 minutes over each eye at the same time. It should be as hot as you can tolerate without burning your skin, massaging the eyelids while they are on there. Then, use either commercially available preparations or a dilute baby shampoo solution to scrub your eyelashes on all 4 eyelids. The commercially available preparations are called Ocusoft or Sterilid which are both over-the-counter eyelash scrubbing treatments. These cost more money but are quicker to use. Otherwise, the cheaper alternative is the dilute baby shampoo (4-5 drops Johnson's shampoo in 1/4 cup warm water), you will take the wipe (or dip a qtip in the dilute baby shampoo solution) and use that to scrub right on the eyelashes of each eyelid for 15 seconds. That will take 60 seconds when done to all 4 eyelids. The scrubbing is done right on the eyelid margin, where the eyelashes come out. After that, just splash some water on the eyes and you're done. It does take about 3-4 weeks of doing this consistently every day before it really kicks in, so don't stop it thinking it's not working. Also the eyes are still significantly dry during this 3-4 weeks so use the artificial tears you bought 4x/day in both eyes (one drop per application). After 4 weeks you should be able to start tapering off of the tears to as you need them. Any artificial tear without this redness-reliever chemical in them should be fine; some brand name examples that my patients like using are Refresh, Systane, Blink, Optive.

Just doing the artificial tears, hot compresses and eyelid scrubs alone would likely start to help you after three or 4 weeks--but remember it could take this long of doing it everyday before you see a significant effect, so don't stop it thinking it's not working. You may also need an antibiotic/steroid combination drop if the inflammation has not significantly calmed down after 2-3 weeks.

Does this make sense? Do you have any other questions about this?

I am not sure if thus response adequately answers my concerns as I was not told whether the diagnosis may be associated with the burning during mensuration. ( in the private area)

No, this would have nothing to do with burning in your genital region, though at more hormonally active times (such as menstruation), blepharitis can seem to be a bit worse.

Thank you. Would you recommend seeing a gynaecologist?

Yes, I would recommend seeing a gynecologist.

Does this make sense? Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you need any clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns as you voice them. If your concerns have been resolved...

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback; any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.