Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I woke up this morning with irritation in my right eye. I

Customer Question
thought perhaps I got an...
I woke up this morning with irritation in my right eye. I thought perhaps I got an eyelash in my eye. I looked really closely and noticed at the top of my iris was a period shaped black spot. I just had my eyes checked a month an a half ago and everything looked good.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Eye
12/13/2015
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 1 year ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Can you upload a IN FOCUS picture of your iris?

Is there any black spot on your cornea (the clear part of your eye) or the white part of your eye?

Is your vision affected?

Any pain?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No black spot on the cornea just on the iris and its period shaped. On no meds, I just have eye irritation like an eyelash in my eye.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I meant to say it looks like a comma , but not a period shape. Quite small but very easy to see I just can't get a clear photo of it.

I think the safest thing would be for you to go to the ER and be evaluated by the Ophthalmologist on-call.

While rare, your description makes me concerned that you may have an open globe -- a hole in your eye that is plugged by your iris, causing it to be comma shaped. If this is the case then you are at risk for loosing your eye completely.

Could it be something else? Of course, but there is no way to know for sure without a compete exam by an eye MD.

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I live in a small town. It's Sunday. We don't have any Opthomologists on call. I will be lucky if I can see one tomorrow or even this week. They are very hard to get into. But I will call first thing tomorrow morning. Thank Yiy!

If you have a hole in your eye then tomorrow may well be too late. If you can get to an Eye MD then do so, even if it is a long drive for someone to give you a ride.

And don't forget to give positive feedback :)

Let me know how things turn out.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I looked at the images online of open globe & it doesn't look like any of those images. My eye isn't red. Just feels scratchy.

Good. Then you should be OK to see an ophthalmologist tomorrow. I can only go by what you posted and make sure I take care of the worst case scenario....

You could have a corneal ulcer.....hard to tell without examining you or a picture.

Let me know how things turn out.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD