Dr. Longo
Dr. Longo, Optometrist
Experience:  Residency in Ocular Disease, Managed Ocular ER
89512414

My husband was inflating a balloon and it suddenly exploded

Customer Question

My husband was inflating a balloon and it suddenly exploded in his face causing trauma to the eye. It brought him to his knees, he said it felt like above his eyes was split open, he actually looked for blood as he removed his hand from his eye/forehead
area. He can open his eye a little and the whites are pinkish red. Side of his nose hurts as well. And he is saying he has a headache directly behind eye toward back of head. Should we wait this out to see if it gets better or should he be seen right away?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Longo replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Dr. Longo. Is his vision in that eye blurry? Worst case scenario is that he acquired a corneal or conjunctival abrasion. I would recommend to be seen soon so as to get a prophylactic antibiotic to prevent infection and see if the wound is deep and needs patching/ bandage contact/debridement (cleaning). He will be prescribed an antibiotic and artificial tears as well. You can go to your local optometrist rather than an ER or ophthalmologist and be able to be seen right away. If he does nothing, it may heal on its own fine. But of course I don't know how deep it is or how clean of an abrasion it is. So it is better to be seen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vision is not blurry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But sensitive, when he takes washcloth off.
Expert:  Dr. Longo replied 1 year ago.

Ok that bodes well that the cornea is not severely swollen. You can lubricate with preservative free artificial tears every hour. As I said, depending on the depth of injury, I would get a prophylactic antibiotic prescribed to ensure no secondary infection develops.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay will do. May i contact u on this issue if something arises in the latter part of the day?
Expert:  Dr. Longo replied 1 year ago.

Sure. =)

Expert:  Dr. Longo replied 1 year ago.

Any other questions I can help you with? If not please accept the answers to end this discussion and allow me to be compensated. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Longo replied 1 year ago.

Hello - please accept to close this discussion. Thanks.