Dr. Longo
Dr. Longo, Optometrist
Experience:  Residency in Ocular Disease, Managed Ocular ER
89512414

I accidently rubbed the corner of my eye with my hand right

Customer Question

Customer: I accidently rubbed the corner of my eye with my hand right after I cleaned up bleach Cholorox) on my counter top. Then I watched a movie on t.v. and it burned throughout the movie. It is all red. What should I do?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My son put a container on the counter top. I kept smelling bleach. finally discovered that the bottom of the package smelled strongly of bleach. I cleaned the counter top. While washing it off my eye started to itch and I rubbed the side of my hand on the corner of my eye. It is burning and is red. It happened about 90 minutes ago.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Eye Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes, I don't want to go to the emergency room. As a side information I have glaucoma.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Longo replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Dr. Longo. Bleach in the eye in small amounts is ok. The fact that your eye is red is actually a "good" sign -- if the eye were to turn white after a chemical burn, it means tissue death. The treatment protocol for an ocular chemical burn is irrigation - wash the eye for at least 30 min. You can buy an eye wash cup with saline at the local Walgreens to make this task easier. Vision may be blurred for a few days if the bleach irritated the cornea. This usually causes corneal swelling and keratitis (corneal irritation)...which then results in blurred vision. After irrigating the eye, continue with artificial tears every one hour for the next week (or as often as you can) to allow healing.

Expert:  Dr. Longo replied 1 year ago.

Any further questions or concerns I can help you with?

Expert:  Dr. Longo replied 1 year ago.

Any other questions I can help you with? If not please accept the answers to end this discussion and allow me to be compensated. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Longo replied 1 year ago.

Hello - please accept to close this discussion. Thanks.