Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My husband developed burning eyes on Sunday am. No fever.

Customer Question

My husband developed burning eyes on Sunday am. No fever. When I checked them with a light both sclera's were yellow - the left darker somewhat than the right. He developed some nausea. As a nurse any number of things went through my mind and and I insisted he go to the doctor Monday am where he had to see another than our regular doctor.
He was told he had pink eye and given drops Polymyxin, q 3 hrs. Sorry, but I have never heard of dark yellow "pink eye". Please explain this to me.
Thanks a lot!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Pink eye is usually not dark yellow....

And, even if he DID have pink eye, it is a virus and polymyxin drops will be useless.....

I'd have him seen by an ophthalmologist for a second opinion.

And he would probably benefit from lab work to include LFTs if his sclera is icteric

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS