Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My 7 year old had took a hot wheel car to the eye 2 days ago

Customer Question

My 7 year old had took a hot wheel car to the eye 2 days ago from his 8 year old brother. It left a very red mark on his right eye to the right of his iris..but he said it didn't bother him. So this morning I was looking at it and above his iris/pupil is has what looks like bruising. He still says that it doesn't bother him, and it doesn't appear to lacerated at all. Should I take him in to be seen? We have been using eye drops to keep it clean for the short term..
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

can you upload a picture?

How hard was the hot wheel thrown?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not witness the incident. They were apparently throwing the hotwheels into the air (this is the story as of right now lol) and trying to catch them, and my older son threw a handful of them up but not striaght up and thats when my 7 year old got hit. They both say it wasnt very hard though..
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.... I'm on call this week :(

Good news!

That is a just a subconjunctival hemorrhage -- a bruise on the eyeball. In and of itself it is nothing to worry about, especially if he is not complaining of seeing any flashes of lights, floaters/bugs or having any other visual complaints.

It probably wouldn't hurt to make an appointment to see an ophthalmologist (Eye MD) so that his eye can get a complete exam just to make sure the retina etc is OK but I do not see the need for an emergency exam.

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS