Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (non-eye specialty)
Experience:  Many years of outpatient practice managing eye injuries and common disorders
18722459

My son has a redness in one eye only. doctor says it is

Customer Question

my son has a redness in one eye only. doctor says it is allergies, as this has been on going a few times a year for about 4 years.. what treatment would be best, ***** ***** pataday currently
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Hi and sorry for the delay

Does the Pataday work on this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
occasionally, but does sting and he does not like to use it
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

And has the doctor ever cultured his eye to see if it's an infection rather than an allergy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I don't believe that has ever cultured the eye... what would that entail
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Just a cotton swab of the inside of an eyelid.

Usually allergies hit both eyes and not just one.

If it were an allergy and the drops bother him I'd just have him take oral Claritin or Zyrtec for the problem when it occurs

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would agree, the initial diagnosis, said that both eyes were being affected but just differently... I am going to try the oral meds for a bit and them make another appointment if necessary... one final question... since this has been ongoing for the better part of 4-5 years... the chances of if being allergies would seem more probable than an infection don't you think? seems odd that it would be back and forth... if infections... your input please
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

I think infection is more likely but if the oral antihistamine works then it is an allergy