Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

On occasion, I wake up at night with blood coming out of my

Customer Question

On occasion, I wake up at night with blood coming out of my eye and flows down my face. My pillowcase is wet with blood. My local eye doctors have not heard of this before and can not find anything wrong. Any suggestions
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr SH replied 1 year ago.

You could be having a condition that is called as hemolacria.

This is a rare condition where a person produces tears that are partially composed of blood.

Haemolacria is a symptom of a number of diseases, and may also be indicative of a tumor in the lacrimal apparatus.

It is most often provoked by local factors such as bacterial conjunctivitis, environmental damage or injuries.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Please rate me by clicking on one of the stars at your end.

Kind regards