Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I've had a cold/sinus infection since Saturday. Yesterday

Customer Question
afternoon I started to have...
I've had a cold/sinus infection since Saturday. Yesterday afternoon I started to have a white sticky discharge from my eye. When I woke up this morning my eye was all sticky and I had to wash it off. I now have a clear discharge every once in a while and my eye feels fine. It is a little rd in side my eye but red and puffy under my eye and above my cheek. I called my doctor and when he got back to me he had called in an antibiotic for me and said it was sinus and that I should see my eye doctor for my eye. I called my eye doctor but could not get in until tomorrow at 10:30 am. What I was wondering is do you think the antibiotic will help my eye and what can I do for my eye until tomorrow morning?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Eye
11/12/2015
Eye Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hello

If the eye infection is bacteria, the antibiotic will help.

I would do nothing other than warm compresses until tomorrow.

I would not rinse the eye, etc. which will simply irritate it.

If it is viral, it will resolve on its own.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician