DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

Occasionally, when I wake up, I am unable to open one of my

Customer Question

Occasionally, when I wake up, I am unable to open one of my eyes. So far, it has always been the left eye. The eyelid does not appear weak. It just seems as if it's lacking lubrication. Once I roll my eye a little in the socket while my eye is closed, I am able to open it. What can possibly the problem?
Category: Eye
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

are your eyes dry

mouth?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only other thing that happened earlier in this year(May month) to this eye was that it appeared 'blood shot' on one side. I went to the doctor, he gave me antibiotics eyedrops, and it went away within a few days. The problem of not being able to open my eye started about 2 months ago, and it happens on an average of about twice per week.
Marilyn
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Have you been to the opthalmologist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not as yet - but it is in my plan. Any ideas of why this could be happening?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Autoimmune disease

Or, problem with the tear duct system

Or problem forming tears [dry eyes]

Treatment depends on the diagnosis.

You need to start with the opthalmologist for exam.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.