Eye

I had an upper respiratory infection (caused by a virus) and…

Customer Question
Hello. I had an upper...
Hello. I had an upper respiratory infection (caused by a virus) and after about a week I woke up with a red eye that had some (although not copious amounts at all) yellow discharge in the corner, plus a light film over my eye. I went to the eye doctor, and they prescribed me Vigamox, saying I had an eye infection... Read full answer
Hello. I had an upper respiratory infection (caused by a virus) and after about a week I woke up with a red eye that had some (although not copious amounts at all) yellow discharge in the corner, plus a light film over my eye. I went to the eye doctor, and they prescribed me Vigamox, saying I had an eye infection likely caused by the congestion from my cold. Here's my confusion - isn't Vigamox for bacteria? If my eye problem was caused by my cold, wouldn't it be viral? And lastly, they just called it an "eye infection" but I assume that mean conjuctivitis, correct? My eye is only mildly red, mildly irritated (not itchy) and has a small amount of discharge. Is that really pink eye?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Eye
10/26/2015
Eye Doctor: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 3 years ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello !

Yes you are right that Vigamox is a fluoroquinolone class antibiotic and would be intended to help with a bacterial infection..

You note above that you awoke with A red eye.. so one was red and the other not? That pattern would more fit with a BACTERIAL CONJUNCTIVITIS as possible. Viral conjunctivitis is possible as well but these are more often bilateral at onset ...

It may be that your upper respiratory infection might be better covered too by an oral antibiotic >> that would be a very possible scenario...

It could be from a physical irritation..

So there are possible irritations that may not be benefiting from the prescribed antibiotic. The eye drops were prescribed I think to cover a base with the understanding that other causes may self resolve without need of treatment..

The Rx is for bacterial conjunctivitis also referred to as "pink eye"

The discharge sounds suspicious for this to be a bacterial conjunctivitis. It does not have to meet a high threshold for it itching or being extremely red however...

I hope that this is helpful for you! let me know if you have further questions. If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I got got sinus problems and my ear feels stuffed do you
I got got sinus problems and my ear feels stuffed do you think its a cold that settled in my eye or maybe pink eye… read more
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Board certified general ophthalmologist,
I've had pink eye for 10 days. It started in my left eye,
I've had pink eye for 10 days. It started in my left eye, but both eyes were scratchy so I treated them both. (I caught it from my daughter whose pedi said hers was allergy-caused). I treated it the f… read more
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Ophthalmologist & Retina Specialist,
My 5 yr old woke this morning with one eye slightly pink not
HI, My 5 yr old woke this morning with one eye slightly pink not really pink, but could tell was lil different and he said stuck together when he woke. Then when he got home he had the eye boogies in … read more
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Stop searching for answers—
I think I have what might be viral conjunctivitis. It
I think I have what might be viral conjunctivitis. It started about two weeks ago after experiencing some cold symptoms (runny nose, congestion, lack of energy). My left eye then became red and inflam… read more
Radiation Oncology Attending Director,
I started getting the eye mucas in my eye and immediately
I started getting the eye mucas in my eye and immediately assumed it was pink eye, it doesn't burn or anything, I did see the doctor and she noticed the entire eyeball is enlarged. is this ok? she did… read more
eyemd45
eyemd45
I think I may have pink eye. There is discharge coming from
I think I may have pink eye. There is discharge coming from my eye and the white area of my eye is pink. There's also a slight soreness to my eye. What should I do?… read more
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Board Certified Ophthalmologist,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I HAD PINK EYE TWICE IS THE LAST 3 MONTHS FIRST TIME WAS AT
I HAD PINK EYE TWICE IS THE LAST 3 MONTHS FIRST TIME WAS AT THE TAIL END OF A REALLY BAD COLD IT STARTED IN ONE EYE THEN GOT IT IN THE OTHER IT WAS ITCHY BURNED AND WHITE STUFF WAS ALWAYS IN THE CORNE… read more
Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom
Physician,
MD PhD
I woke up with one eye that had eye bugger discharge. My eye
I woke up with one eye that had eye bugger discharge. My eye is very red, itchy and painful. My vision is a little blurred. I thought I got something in yet yesturday which may be thecause, but I did … read more
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Board Certified Ophthalmologist,
My 3 year old daughter has been suffering from a cold for
My 3 year old daughter has been suffering from a cold for the past 2 days and today her eyes have yellow discharge in the corners. She states that they do not hurt and they are not red or bloodshot at… read more
Dr. James
Dr. James
My daughter almost 5 years old.Almost three weeks ago she
Hello My daughter melissa almost 5 years old.Almost three weeks ago she has been at our community pool.Since then she discharge at her eyes ,their red and itchy.Inthe morning they are felaky.Today her… read more
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Board Certified Ophthalmologist,
A couple of months back I had an incident with extremely
Hello. A couple of months back I had an incident with extremely uncomfortable itchy, tearful red eyes (extremely red and itchy). It was so bad I had to come back home from school. I took some benadryl… read more
Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz
MS, Fellowship Trained
My husbands eyes strted getting very red and daining pus he
my husbands eyes strted getting very red and daining pus he went to dr. she gave him eye drops vigamox we uaed them and now his eyes are draining and are almost swollen shut what sould i do roseann… read more
Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz
MS, Fellowship Trained
Stop searching for answers—
A child that will be 2 years in May has a cold with a small
a child that will be 2 years in May has a cold with a small temp of 99.1 and has an eye discharge of green/yellow color and has a cough and chest is congested but is getting it up. What can we do for … read more
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
I been having the flu for 3 days and today my eye's have
I been having the flu for 3 days and today my eye's have been red and and i woke up with them stuck together with a yellow secrection coming out my eyes is this pink eye or something else?… read more
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Male, 56, has had cold with congestion all week. Taking
Male, 56, has had cold with congestion all week. Taking cough meds, aleve, etc. Coughing up some mucus. Coughed around 1 hour ago and right eye began to water and yellow stringy mucus is coming out of… read more
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens
Ophthalmologist,
I have a single swollen eye. It has persisted for four days.
I have a single swollen eye. It has persisted for four days. It is at its worst upon waking in the morning. The eye itself looks fine. There is swelling and redness around the eyelid and in the inner … read more
Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz
MS, Fellowship Trained
I woke up with a reddish bruise beneath my left eye. The ER
I woke up with a reddish bruise beneath my left eye. The ER doc thought it was pink eye and gave me drops. Five days later I'm itching and developing whitish spots on the outer corner of the left eye … read more
Dr PG M.D.
Dr PG M.D.
I woke up with a stuffy nose and sinues, also my right eye
I woke up with a stuffy nose and sinues, also my right eye had redness and puffiness under the bot***** *****d. Is this a viral infection? Should I see a doctor?… read more
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens
Ophthalmologist,