Eye

I have had for years a problem with my eyes: I see a lot of…

Hi, I have had for years...
I have had for years a problem with my eyes: I see a lot of dark spots that move as I move my eyes. I was told this is not a big problem and is pretty common. However during the last three months the number of dark spots has grown. Today, while I was in a meeting, suddenly I began to see three ondulated dark lines in my left eye. They... Read full answer
I have had for years a problem with my eyes: I see a lot of dark spots that move as I move my eyes. I was told this is not a big problem and is pretty common. However during the last three months the number of dark spots has grown. Today, while I was in a meeting, suddenly I began to see three ondulated dark lines in my left eye. They started at the top of my eye and slowly moved down. Now, after about 4 hours, the lines have mostly blurred into two different dark clusters to the right and left of my left eye visión. I am truly worried now.
What is happening? Can anything be done? I tried to contact an ophthalmologist and I was able to get an appointment with one for next Monday.
10/23/2015
Dr. Longo
Dr. Longo, Optometrist

A few floaters here and there is fine and a normal part of aging as the jelly in our eye (vitreous) breaks down over time. You then see the shadows of the bits floating around - most easily on light backgrounds. However, Floaters growing in number is ***** a concern. I do not know your medical conditions or how high your prescription is - but generally worst cases: It can be blood or a sign of a retinal detachment. You need to be dilated immediately to evaluate the retina. Please call the office back and explain your symptoms and that they are worsening. All front desk staff are trained on what appointments are urgent. They should see you immediately. The aforementioned causes need to be ruled out quickly in case laser/surgical intervention is required. Hopefully it is just an increase in "normal" floaters - but this needs to be evaluated ASAP.

Dr. Longo
Dr. Longo, Optometrist

Thank you. Nobody is answering the phone (it is after 5 p.m. here) and there are no opthalmologists on emergency rooms. I will try to get someone tomorrow.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have a cloudy spot in my left eye that moves around a bit.
I have a cloudy spot in my left eye that moves around a bit. Usually it's in the middle but if i move my eye back and forth I can see it move across my eye. Sometimes it doesn't seem to be there at al… read more
Sabrina Gie
Sabrina Gie
I suddenly had a dark swirling blob visible over everything
I suddenly had a dark swirling blob visible over everything I look at with just my left eye.. It swirled like ink in water and then dispersed into tiny black specks. I had a migrane earlier today but … read more
I have a fixed black spot in centre of my vision of left eye
I have a fixed black spot in centre of my vision of my left eye x 2 weeks. My vision seems a little blurred and I can only identify the black spot when I close my right eye. I have no eye pain and had… read more
Dr Stan
Dr Stan
DO
Stop searching for answers—
When I open my eyes In a dark room or dim lighting I see a
Hi, when I open my eyes In a dark room or dim lighting I see a spot when I blink. It seems to be in both eyes but I can't really tell. It doesn't move I don't think. Had it about 3 weeks now. I don't … read more
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Board certified general ophthalmologist,
I just had a baby two months ago, getting little sleep -
Hi, I just had a baby two months ago, getting little sleep - I've had auras/migraines but this is different. I constantly have a section of my upper left vision (especially when I close my eyes), that… read more
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Please...trying to find out about a blurry spot in my lower
please...trying to find out about a blurry spot in my lower left eye and the pain I feel when I move my eyes around...this has just happened over the last day or so and I wondered if it would get bett… read more
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I had floating specks in my left eye in March-more so and
Hello. I had floating specks in my left eye in March-more so and consistently than I have had before. I also had some difficulty focusing in that eye. I went to my Optometrist. His evaluation he did n… read more
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Board Certified Ophthalmologist,
I am 62 year old male. I have had my left eye become blurry
I am 62 year old male. I have had my left eye become blurry at least 3 days ago. No pain just blurred. I started taking a new med (Flowmax) 3 days ago. I have not been on this med for the past 36 hour… read more
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Board Certified Ophthalmologist,
Can black spots in your visions be caused by reduced blood
Can black spots in your visions be caused by reduced blood flow in the brain? The black spots in my vision do not drift or move.… read more
jbmd
jbmd
physician,
I have developed a large dark thing inmy left eye like a
i have developed a large dark thing inmy left eye like a piece of cotton, and also a nright light flashing in the corner of my eye dp i need nto be concefned. thanks maggie.… read more
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
I was diagnosed with posterior vitreous detachment on
good morning doctor. i was diagnosed with posterior vitreous detachment on monday. it came on quite suddenly the day before. i have a web-like floater with several spots and small circles and hair lik… read more
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Today i began having black spots (some out of focus - and 1
Today i began having black spots (some out of focus - and 1 a sharply focused dot) floating in the vision of my left eye. This evening after my 3 meter diving practice (i'm 65 and just began diving ag… read more
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Ophthalmologist & Retina Specialist,
Stop searching for answers—
I am seeing a dark spot in my left eye itis the same size as
i am seeing a dark spot in my left eye itis the same size as my Iris when I close my right eye and blink with my left eye i see it more clearly. when i look at something with that eye alone the object… read more
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Ophthalmologist & Retina Specialist,
For two days I have had the sensation of dark spots in the
For two days I have had the sensation of dark spots in the peripheral vision of my left eye. This afternoon another sensation began that of flashing lights in the same eye._No pain. The vision seems O… read more
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
I have had blurred vision in my left eye for 3 days and
I have had blurred vision in my left eye for 3 days and slight darkness,as if there is a dark cloud over it? When i shut my eye and open it again a dark spot appears for a couple of seconds then dissa… read more
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
I have an appointment on Monday to see a doctor. The last
I have an appointment on Monday to see a doctor. The last two days my vision is a little blurry. When I close my right eye the blurry vision goes away and then when I close my left eye the blurry visi… read more
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
I have genetic bilateral glaucoma from birth. In the last
Hello, I have genetic bilateral glaucoma from birth. In the last 6monthes I have changed my drops three times. My current med is Travatan. I get allot of dry and red eye. The optomitrist gave me a pre… read more
Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz
MS, Fellowship Trained
I have a blurred vision spot in my left eye. It covers about
i have a blurred vision spot in my left eye. It covers about one tenth of my vision of that eye. Really heave floaters and a dark patch as though a fly or foreign body has struck my eye. can you advic… read more
Dr. James
Dr. James