Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Approximately 5 months ago I had dacryoadenitis and I was

Customer Question
first prescribed oral antibiotics that...
Approximately 5 months ago I had dacryoadenitis and I was first prescribed oral antibiotics that didn't help, but finally got rid of the condition with antibiotic eyedrops that also contained cortisone. There was severe swelling that reduced within a few days of using the eyedrops and after about a week I looked normal again, but if I looked closely I could still see the tear gland while looking in the mirror. The englargement of the gland started to gradually decrease but if I felt my upper eyelid with a finger I could still feel the bump for several weeks afterwards. Now months later I noticed that I can still feel it and I read that in a normal state you shouldn't be able to feel the gland at all.
It's not a spot that I frequently touch so I didn't realize it is still somewhat enlarged. It's not visible through the eyelid like it used to be for the first few weeks after recovery and I can only feel it when I close my eyes and touch it. When I open my eye it hides inside the eye socket.
Is it normal for it to take so long to return to it's original size or should I be worried?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Eye
9/25/2015
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 2 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

It is painful when you touch it?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Hello Dr Rick. No it is not painful to touch and no other symptoms are present exept that I just feel the gland if I touch it. I have no other medical problems nor do I take any medication.

thank you for that additional information

From what you have posted I think that your lacrimal gland needs to be checked again.

Could the persistent swelling be due to the prior infection/scar tissue? Sure.

But it is important to make sure that nothing has been missed or hidden behind your prior infection.

Does this make sense to you?

Oops....wrong button ;)

Don't forget to mash the positive (excellent is the most fun to push) feedback button.....without this important step on your part the funds you left on deposit are not released and my kids will spend another cold winter barefoot ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD