How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Dan B. Your Own Question
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 3343
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Dan B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Approximately 72 hours ago I fell while very intoxicated and

Customer Question

Hi, approximately 72 hours ago I fell while very intoxicated and hit my head on a stair, leaving a laceration that requires about 10 staples around 3 inches above my right ear near my part line. I'm an otherwise healthy 30 year old male. I remember little before the accident and nothing until about 10 minutes after, which could have been due to intoxication or concussion. At the ER, I had a catscan immediately after that turned up negative, although one of the nurses commented that my pupils might be different sizes.
I felt foggy the day after the incident, but assumed it was from all of the alcohol and no sleep. I felt foggy yesterday and today I went back to urgent care, where they tested my facial nerves, balance, reaction, and gave me simple memory tests and everything was fine. I'm not sure if I'm just imagining being slightly foggy, I think my memory and word recall were a little slow today, but I could just be being paranoid. I'm also have slight headaches by my ear and eye, and my eyelid is intermittently twitching, although that happens when I'm fatigued.
Do you think I need to be concerned about these symptoms? I am afraid, from reading on the Internet, of potential for slow subdural bleed, although urgent care did not prescribe another catscan. Any advice you can give is much appreciated, I've been reading stories about permanent brain injured and would just like some assurance that is a low likelihood given the description or a recommendation for care options. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. Having had a negative CT scan in the ER, it is quite unlikely that a spontaneous bleed would begin after that. However, to be safe, it is a good idea to monitor your symptoms and make sure they're getting better and not worse. Specifically, if your headache is getting noticeable worse, you are abnormally sleepy, you start to have double vision or lose vision in one eye, or if your memory and mental processing become noticeably worse, these are all reasons to see your PCP or, more likely, go back to the ER. But, I think the chances of that happening are remote--just a good idea to stay on top of it. Does that make sense?

Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this?

happy to be able to help you today. If you need any clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns as you voice them. If your concerns have been resolved...

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback; any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!