Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I am before cataract surgery. A problem called FUCHS was

Customer Question
found in my eye. if...
I am before cataract surgery. A problem called FUCHS was found in my eye. if i undersatand correctly, it becomes dangerous only after the surgery. Should i postpone the surgery? Is it wise? is it useless? Ofcourse it can't be postponed for ever, but i
may have some more time....maybe.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/19/2015
Eye Doctor: Dr. Gehring, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring, Doctor
Good evening,
You got something wrong there.Fuchs corneal dystrophy is a disease of the endothelial cells that line the back of the cornea. The cornea is the clear tissue on the surface of the eye in front of the iris. Fuchs dystrophy is a relatively common disease that affects older people. It is not preventable. For unknown reasons, it is more common and more severe in women. In approximately one-third of cases, this disorder is hereditary.
Currently the only effective cure for Fuchs is a corneal transplant, which involves eye surgery. It is more difficult to transplant when you had a cataract surgery before that. But Fuchs dystrophy is getting worse with or without cataract surgery.
Please ask your doctor if your issue is so bad that you have to expect surgery in the nearer future. Then I would recommend postponing the cataract surgery until then
I wish you all the best!
Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring, Doctor