Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Im experiencing that my right eye becomes more sleepy or

Customer Question
Hi, Im experiencing that my right...
Im experiencing that my right eye becomes more sleepy or smaller when i sleep on the left side. And sleeping on the right side puts a pressure on the right eye that sort of puts it in the right position, while sleeping on my left side makes it relaxed.
It might not be the eye that is the problem but the muscles around the eye and between my eyebrows. Like the muscles around the right eye relaxes when i lie on my left side but when i try to sleep on my right side and the pressure gets right i can feel the muscles adjusting to the right position.
It is difficult to explain it...
I Know it is a weird problem and im not sure what kind of doctor to talk to this about, but you can therefore understand that i've been sleeping on my right side for a very long time due to this problem, which has caused me huge sleeping problem since i am not comfortable lying on my right side for that long.
It has affected me a lot and i would love to get an answer on how to solve this, my sleeping problem is affecting me too much!
Thank you
/Erik
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Eye
8/18/2015
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 2 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
I think the best doctor to consult would be a sleep specialist. She can conduct a sleep study and document exactly what is happening during your entire sleep cycle.
Does this make sense to you?
Don't forget to mash the positive (excellent is the most fun to push) feedback button.....without this important step on your part the funds you left on deposit are not released and my kids will spend another cold winter barefoot ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Well i've been to a sleep specialist, even slept in one of their labs, but not for the eye problem just for the problem of not being able to sleep due to pressure on left ribcage (probably occured when sleeping on right side too much). Found this http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18407753 I guess its sort of the same. Its nothing an eye doctor knows anything about? or?
I treat Graves.
And, from what you have posted, I do not think that is what is going on.
You might want to repeat the sleep study and have the doctor focus on your eye issue.
If possible, you should have someone make a movie/take pictures of the changes in your eye when it happens.
Does this make sense?
See the pretty Excellent feedback button? Don't be afraid. Give it a little push. You'll like it.....Trust me, I'm a Doctor ;)
I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Okey thanks for your answers. It'll take half a year or so to get an sleep specialist appointment for where i live tho :I
What do you do about this sort of thing? If you would just take a wild guess of what it is.Also it doesn't only happen when i sleep but thats the time when you're in that position, if that helps..
Personally? I do not feel this is a sign of anything serious.
Does this make sense?
For me it is serious, if i could find a way to make my right eye be in the "right position" it would improve my quality of life a lot.
I've had huge sleeping problem because of this which has affected my social life a lot. I look and feel way better when i had a good night sleep on the right side and look the way i want. When it's sleepy and down i barely make the effort to go out and have fun at nights.
So for me this is serious, and i am not sure how to make doctor look at this in the same way i do, they will all say it's not serious and wont even try to figure out what it is about.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD