Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I have a question about zigzag flashing lights seen with

Customer Question

I have a question about zigzag flashing lights seen with both eyes
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question. Did you notice any shimmery or zig-zagged lights around an area of blurry or voided vision?
Did this come on suddenly (within 1-2 seconds) or more gradually (over 10-30 seconds)?
Did it go away suddenly or gradually?
Was it associated with nausea, noticeable irritability, sensitivity to loud noises or bright lights, or headaches?
Has this ever happened to you before?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No blurry or voided vision just zig-zagged lights that start small and continue to get bigger until they are out of my field of vision and lasts 15-20 min. Started when I was looking at a bright light on my cell phone. I had this happen Fri, Sat, and today, once each day. I have a slight headache after each time of zigzag lights. Yes I have had it over the years since my migraines started in my 40's with and without the zigzag lines
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
about the voided vision when it starts there is a void and then that changes as the lines progress to being bigger and is not there
What you are describing sounds consistent with a migraine. It's not uncommon for the quality and characteristics of a person's migraine to change over the years.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is it normal to have it visual disturbance several days in a row and feel like migraine switched sides and also that first and second zigzag went one direction and the third one went the opposite direction?
these variations can be normal. However, if they have happened much more frequently than in the past, it would be worthwhile for you to see your PCP about this to determine whether any additional testing needs to be done.