Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I have recently been diagnosed with myoclonus, complicated…

Customer Question
I have recently been diagnosed...
I have recently been diagnosed with myoclonus, complicated migraine and spondylosis which i'm told is causing the myoclonus. I had migraines with visual symptoms (ie wavy vision) without headache or dull minor headache for years. These basically stopped when I went through my changes. I am now 69 and complex migraines have started along with the myoclonus and I now have visual symptoms - the wavy vision - flash vision and this morning darkening of vision for about 10 seconds in part of my right eye - it came like a flash of dark and quickly receded. I became very anxious and took my pressure which was high 170/90 - this went down within 30 minutes. I now feel fine tho I'm concerned.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Eye
8/8/2015
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 2 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Your BP, even though it has now come down, is way too high....
Mostly, though, I am concerned about this new symptom....please allow me to explain:
It sounds like what you are suffering from is something called Amaurosis fugax (AF).
Amaurosis fugax is the transient loss of vision in one eye. It has many causes and, in the early 1990's, a study called the Amaurosis Fugax Study Group defined and grouped them to help with diagnosis and treatment of this problem.
What can cause AF? It can be due to an embolism, problems with the blood, problems with the eye itself or, sometimes due to no cause we can figure out (idiopathic). I would be happy to go through all the different diagnostic possibilities in each of these categories but I don't think that is the best use of your time.....you need to know what to do.
AF is a symptom that something serious is wrong. It can be a warning that you are heading toward a dangerous vascular event such as a TIA, stroke or even death. It is important for you to see your ophthalmologist and possibly your internal medicine physician ASAP. What will they do? A complete history and physical, a complete eye examination, maybe a fluorescein angiogram of your retina, laboratory tests, possibly ultrasound of your carotid arteries or an CT/MRI of your head.
Treatment depends on what is found on the above workup.
I can not stress enough the need for you to be seen for a complete exam as soon as possible.
Does this make sense to you?
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS