Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Dr Dan My wife has cfs. One of the symptoms prevents her from reading and going out. I

Customer Question

Hi dr Dan
My wife has cfs. One of the symptoms prevents her from reading and going out. It feels like her eyes are quickly moving up, down,left and right even though she is looking straight ahead. Rem in sleep makes it worse and wakes her up. If she is standing and closes her eyes the sensation will make her unsteady and fall over
Any suggestions? Severe eye strain?
Many thanks
Peter
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Unfortunately, with CFS there is no good treatment to help with these ocular symptoms. It is not from eye strain....nor is it most likely from her eyes themselves.
What she needs is a comprehensive evaluation and treatment plan and the best place to get this would be at a large University Teaching Hospital. Why a teaching hospital? Because . At an institution like that your wife could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.
The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.
I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is causing her ocular symptoms that keep her from going out or reading.
Does this make sense to you?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Here is some good information (that you probably already know) from a highly respected source:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/chronic-fatigue-syndrome/basics/symptoms/con-20022009