Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

My brother was recently diagnosed with shingles. s one eye

Customer Question

my brother was recently diagnosed with shingles. his one eye would not blink. this eye was sewn shut. what is the probable diagnosis?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .
The eye which would not blink was having lagophthalmos( inability to close the eye completely) . This occurs due to facial nerve palsy which can be associated with shingles. To prevent complications in the eye due to chronic exposure, the eye is temporarily sewn by surgery called as Tarsorrhaphy. Once the nerve recovers, the ability to close the eye improves and the the eyelids are opened again( after few weeks). To sum it up, your brother must have had Herpes Zoster Oticus with Facial nerve paralysis leading to lagophthalmos which was treated with Tarsorrhaphy.
Thank you and best wishes.
It was a pleasure to have answered this question.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist