Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I just had a baby two months ago, getting little sleep -

Customer Question
Hi, I just had a...
Hi, I just had a baby two months ago, getting little sleep - I've had auras/migraines but this is different. I constantly have a section of my upper left vision (especially when I close my eyes), that look faintly like wavy lines/shapes/constantly moving, etc. I've had it for a good while and I'm just wondering what could cause this.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Eye
7/7/2015
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

For how long have you had this symptom?

A few weeks and I had it a year ago in a different spot

Is the wavy pattern noticed only on closing the eyes?

Is it associated with any flashes of light also?

Are you short sighted?

It seems like after I have a baby, I get more vision problems - no flashes, it's just in the same spot - I can see it barely in certain light, but mostly when I close my eyes
I'm wondering if this could be associated with hormones? Thyroid?
No other symptoms or pain

Unlikely to be due to migraine as it is in the same spot and noticed more so on closing the eyes. It might be more so due to changes in the vitreous, which is a thick gel present in the back of the eye. The vitreous can undergo liquefaction as we grow older. This tends to cause flashes of light in some individuals. Over a period of time the vitreous gets detached from its surrounding retina. This causes wavy patterns which are more pronounced in the dark or on closing the eyes. However it is not a cause of worry but needs a dilated eye exam by an ophthalmologist in near future.

Unlikely to be related to thyroid hormones as such.

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

Thank you and best wishes.
It was a pleasure to have answered this question.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
I was thinking that too - it's transparent - no colors or anything and always in the same spot. The shapes are different sometimes but mostly wavy, always moving. I do have some dark floaters. One other thing, I was in a car wreck five years ago and hurt my neck - I have a lump on the right side of the back of my neck that causes terrible headaches before it rains or if I sleep on it wrong. Any connection there? I don't think there is as this is constant. Do you think I should wait a few weeks to see if anything changes?
By the way, what would a dilated eye exam tell? I saw an eye doc last year about this time
One last note - when I saw the eye doc last year, the reason I went was because I had noticed that for a few months, every night around dusk and in very certain lights that my eyes would catch just right, I would get a flickering "prism/glimmer" in the same spot. It was only in certain types of light and still does it sometimes. It scared the mess out of me, but he looked at my eyes and said everything was good. Maybe I just have weird eyes that are getting old and worn out from three kids!!
A dilated eye exam helps us to know whether the retina is attached and normal or not. A normal exam tells that the retina is fine and is not the cause for these symptoms. This boils down to the vitreous being the most likely cause . Any traction on the retina by the vitreous can cause such shimmering lights. Though not an emergency, it makes sense to get the dilated eye exam done sometime later as a routine annual eye exam.
Best wishes and happy motherhood.
I noticed that you have viewed the answer but not replied back. Is there something else that you need to ask or clarify? Were you looking for something else in the answer? Please let me know. I look forward to your reply.
However please do remember to rate the answer if your question has been answered satisfactorily.
Thanks and best wishes
Dr.A.S.Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist