Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My 74 yr old dad has glaucoma and had detached retina 30 yrs

Customer Question
Hi my 74 yr...
Hi my 74 yr old dad has glaucoma and had detached retina 30 yrs ago, last 3 days he has woken up w flashes of blue and black but disappears and vision is ok for the rest of the time.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Eye
6/11/2015
Eye Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
This is Dr. David

his flashes of blue and black could have been from temporary small blood clots to his brain or eyes.

temporary small blood clots can be called TIA or transient ischemic attacks.

the risks for blood clots increase as we all get older.

he should see his doctor and tell them about these flashes and visual changes and get blood testing for D Dimer to see if he is at risks for small blood clots

he might need ultrasound scans of his carotid arteries and his heart to check for sources of plaques and blood clots as well

he should get an up to date eye exam as well

let me know if you have questions.
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician