Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Following cataract surgery with a toric lens, it was

Customer Question

Following cataract surgery with a toric lens, it was established that the lens needed to be rotated by close to 90 degrees. I believe the calculations were botched
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
That is one of the risks of toric lenses....if they are not oriented correctly then, as you found out, it is a big problem.
I hope the second surgeon was able to explant the old lens and put either a spherical lens or a new, correctly oriented, toric lens in its place.
What is your question for me this evening?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What type of calculation error could account for the 90 degree error in axis ? Is the surgeon negligent ?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
If you are using "negligent" in the legal sense of the word.....you will have a very difficult time suing successfully using that route.
Not getting the lens correctly centered, unfortunately, is a known surgical complication which is, I'm sure, well spelled out in your pre-op consent form.
Is it possible that the surgeon did not do a good job and, as such, the lens want not oriented correctly? Yes.
But it could have shifted out of the correct axis for any number of reasons and at various times post operatively.
So. I understand you want the extra money you paid refunded to you by your first surgeon...and she has refused......
And, from this action, she probably doesn't care if you sue her.
So. What to do?
1. Hire a experienced malpractice attorney and start spending money.....
2. Be happy your issue was fixed by the second surgeon, write off the money in your mind, go on with your life...let go of the anger and disappointment, and let everyone you know hear how you feel about this surgeon.
Personally? I'd go with choice two. It's a lot easier on the blood pressure and pocket book.
Make sense to you?
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS