Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have been having monocular double vision for the past

Customer Question
year. I have also been...
I have been having monocular double vision for the past year. I have also been seeing flashes of light. I went to an eye doctor and he told me I have astigmatism and he prescribed me prisms, which seemed to just make it worse. I went to an ophthalmologist and he told me it seemed to be a neurologic problem. I am seriously concerned I have MS as I have other symptoms such as mood swings and decreased cognitive function. Could MS cause monocular double vision, or is monocular double vision caused by a problem within the eyes?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Eye
I have also not had any head trauma and I take xanax daily. I used to take seroquel, but it caused me to have blindness when I would wake up.
I stopped taking it before the symptoms occurred.
6/9/2015
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .
First point to be noted is astigmatism would not be treated with prisms. It needs to be corrected with cylinderical lenses.
Second point is monocular diplopia is usually not due to a neurological cause.
Third point is that MS usually involves the eye in the form of optic neuritis. This cause acute blurring of vision and not diplopia.
Common causes of monocular diplopia are high astigmatism, cataract in early stage, foreign body in the eye. The double vision persists in the affected eye on closing the other eye.
If the double vision disappears on closing one eye or either eye then it is called binocular diplopia. This can have neurological cause. It is better that you consult a neurologist or neuro ophthalmologist to confirm the above.
If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Thank you for your help. What is causing the flashing lights? And does monocular Diplopia get better or progressively worse? Can surgery correct it?
Flashes of light is seen in case of retinal traction or some form of migraine. If your dilated eye exam by the ophthalmologist has revealed a normal retina then nothing to worry.
If the cause of monocular diplopia is astigmatism , then better to rule out keratoconus. Here the shape 8f cornea is more conical causing steep corneas. There are many modalities of treatment and surgery is last option. However it is unlikely that you have this condition as your ophthalmologist has not mentioned it to you.
I went to another eye doctor today. He told me my eyes look healthy. We tried every type of lens and the double vision didn't go away. Now he is saying it must be nuerologic because the double visioncan't be corrected- in addition to the light flashes. What are your thoughts?
If the eyes are fine then all ocular causes of diplopia are ruled out. Though a neurological cause seems unlikely for symptoms of monocular diplopia and flashes of light, it makes sense to get a detailed examination done by a neurologist. Momentary flashes of light and monocular blindness are known to occur in some variants of migraine.
Best wishes
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist