Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have had conjunctivitis for 1 week. I started one

Customer Question

I have had conjunctivitis for 1 week. I started one antibiotic prescribed from a MinuteClinic (Tobra Mycin) then changed to another antibiotic (polymyxin B sulfate and trimethoprim) from my PCP since the first was ineffective and was told it should take 24-48 hour to work but my condition has not changed. My children were prescribed Moxeza and have fully recovered. Should I now switch to moxeza? It is also important to note that I now have blocked ears and a sore throat.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
The reason that both of those antibiotic have not worked it because you probably have viral conjunctivitis....and antibiotics don't work on a virus. This is probably the same virus that is messing up your ears and throat.
So. What should you do?
1. Stop all the antibiotics. They are not doing anything other than causing irritation.
2. Use cold compresses and preservative free natural tears frequently during the day to soothe your eyes.
3. Chicken soup is still good for a viral infection :)
4. Your eyes will feel better in about two weeks or so after your first symptoms.
5. This condition is very, very infectious. Do not be surprised if family members and close friends come down with it.
In the end you will not suffer any permanent issues from this common infection.
And, no, I don't know why so many clinics and PCPs hand out antibiotics for this condition. I don't treat heart attacks and they shouldn't treat eyes. lol!
Does this make sense to you?
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I appreciate the quick and detailed response but I am still not clear why my two children have improved and I have not as described in my original question. Thank you for your help.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Elizabeth,
The did not improve because of the Moxeza...I was going to add that to the end of my post but I hit "send" by mistake first :(
They had pink eye.
You caught the pink eye from them.
You do not need antibiotic eye drops.
I promise. I have treated about a bazillion of families like yours over the years. Trust me on this.
Up to you.
Make sense?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS