Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I had cataract surgery in 2006, now my right eye is 90%

Customer Question
cloudy. Could something be affecing...
I had cataract surgery in 2006, now my right eye is 90% cloudy. Could something be affecing my lense
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Eye
6/1/2015
Eye Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
do you take any meds?
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 2 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. My Name is***** and I am an eye surgeon.

There can be many causes of cloudy vision after cataract surgery. The most common is a posterior capsular opacity. Please allow me to explain:

When your cataract is removed a "bag" is left behind. This bag has a back surface called the posterior capsule. Your artificial lens (PCIOL) is placed into this bag during surgery.

In a number of patients, months or years after they had their cataract removed and an artificial lens placed inside their capsular bag, the back (posterior) part of the bag becomes cloudy. Some patients liken it to their cataract "growing back" and have symptoms of glare, blurry vision etc.

This is not a serious condition and is easily treated in your ophthalmologist’s office with a special instrument called a YAG laser. After putting a numbing drop in your eye a special contact lens is sometimes placed on your eye and, in a few brief moments, the YAG laser "removes" the cloudy posterior capsule. There is no post op recovery time needed, no patch, no drops and you can expect your vision to return within a few moments to hours.

The cloudy posterior capsule almost never "grows back" or gets re-cloudy.

The good news? A quick visit to your ophthalmologist should be able to figure things out fairly easily.

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD